RSS

Sony Creative Science Award 2016

Approximately a year ago, shortly after Mr 7 embarked on his Primary school journey, he came home excitedly and asked me if he could take part in the Sony Creative Science Awards. The what? I had absolutely no idea what he was talking about and I had the niggling feeling he hadn't a clue either.

Turns out, it's an annual toy-making competition for primary school students. Read more about it here. As a mother who likes tinkering and making, this sounded fun to me. Problem is, the toy has to demonstrate scientific principles. P1 kid? Science? Say what?

I was right. K hadn't a clue what to do. Our convo went--
Me: So what do you want to make?
Errr....a toy car?
And how are we going to do that?
Just find some round things to stick on to a box.
Is it going to move?
I dunno.
Err....and how is this toy fun?
I dunno.
Would you buy this toy?
I think so.

Together, we watched youtube videos to search for inspiration for something he can make (No electronics, wires, sawing, metal work...) and at the same time, learn something from it. Eventually we decided on doing something with hydraulics. If I can be bothered to search for the video, I will post it up here.

As it turned out, our simple-not-very-fun-but-still-ok toy earned him a Gold award in school. I guess there really must have been kids who submitted toy cars which didn't move!


Fast forward to 2016. Fuelled by the thought of receiving another trophy, K asked to join again. This time, I wanted him to think he thought of the idea himself. As a very boliao enthusiastic mom, I did my research first and shortlisted a few ideas that he could possibly understand and embark upon. And then I fed it to him in such a way that I was only making suggestions and he was making the decisions. HE decided to make a pinball machine. HE decided the theme will be Star Wars. And HE decided what tasks/obstacles to place on the pinball machine. See? It's all down to him.






I personally felt this was a very successful project. Although pinball machine is not a new idea, it was a hit with the boys. They were constantly bickering over who gets the next turn. Best of all, it costs next to nothing! The materials used were: cardboard boxes, tube rolls, straw, rubber bands, ice-cream sticks, fasteners and a marble. All of these were already lying in my craft stash (read: my karang guni corner). The only thing I had to purchase was a can of spray paint because using a paintbrush would take forever.


0 comments:

Post a Comment